Search Open Jobs
Edit your Application
View Application History
Specialist I Quality Assurance - Retail Business Services
Retail Business Services
Full/Part Time Status
8301 Professional Place Suite 115
About Retail Business Services
Retail Business Services, LLC, is the services company of Ahold Delhaize USA, currently providing services to six East Coast grocery brands, including Food Lion, Giant Food, GIANT/MARTIN'S, Hannaford and Stop & Shop, as well as the country’s largest online grocery retailer, Peapod. Retail Business Services leverages the scale of the local brands to drive synergies and provides industry-leading expertise, insights and analytics to local brands to support their strategies with services including Information Technology, Merchandising, Marketing & Sourcing Services, Private Brand Products, Pharmacy Services, Not for Resale, Store Services, Financial Services, Legal Services, Communications, Supply Chain and People Systems and Services. For more information, visit www.retailbusinessservices.com.
Position Title: Specialist I Quality Assurance
Position Location: Landover, MD (Northern Virginia, Maryland, Delaware & Washington, DC)
Helps to ensure customer satisfaction & brand protection through education and verification of applicable product safety standards and procedures as they concern our stores, merchandising teams and associates. Responsible for oversight and effective execution of food safety program compliance in assigned grocery stores. Conduct routine quarterly food safety audits, manage pest control program, conduct food safety training, monitor recall compliance, conduct follow-up on health inspections and customer complaints, complete frequent analysis of data and develop presentations and solutions to store operations teams, and provide field support for 24/7 emergency response as needed.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform food safety audits of stores and distribution centers (if applicable) to ensure we meet or exceed established internal and regulatory requirements. Conducts in-depth ‘root cause’ analysis of food safety and sanitation procedures for compliance and necessary follow-up/assessment. Build upon original inspection results including the effectiveness of the corrective action plans and processes.
• Monitor and follow-up with pest control operator (PCO) and cleaning chemical vendor activities daily. Work with the local vendors to ensure compliance with contractual arrangements and directs them as needed. Responsible for pest control in area of operation. Direct and partner with PCO for onsite in-depth pest remediation.
• Provide education and training to business partners both 1-on-1 and in groups up to 100 people. Conduct food safety training/certification sessions (authorized trainer and exam administrator).
• Provide food safety field support, direction and follow-up for emergency/crisis situations (power outages, fires, floods, claimed illnesses, recall audits, etc.). Ability to assess routine individual situations and provide practical and accurate guidance to mitigate risk and achieve regulatory compliance. Seeks guidance/direction for complex situations and provides support/follow-up on behalf of QA. Available for 24/7 emergency support as scheduled.
• Develop contacts and relations with regulatory officials (health department, department of agriculture, weights & measures, etc.). Actively participate in regulatory meetings through networking, educate and be advocate for company product safety standard practices/policies/programs.
• Conduct regular food safety/sanitation assessments of assigned distribution center operations (if applicable). Focus on GMPs, sanitation, pest control support to ensure compliance with all regulatory and internal standards, including FSMA regulations. Provide direction, advice and consultation to retail stores and assigned distribution center locations (if applicable) supervision and leadership. Monitor and confirm with established standards.
• Conducts effectiveness checks for all Class 1 product recalls. Answers regulatory inquiries into recalls involved in foodborne illnesses or USDA or FDA-inspected products
• Assist on regulatory compliance issues and follow-up with Health Department inspections, Country of Origin Labeling, weights and measures regulations. Monitor and confirm with established standards.
• Provide field support for corporate merchandising initiatives, special events and food safety initiatives and assess execution levels. Capable of managing efficient schedule to support program effectiveness.
• Analyze food safety program data and develop actionable solutions and relevant presentations for district-level, store manager, and department manager meetings and district conference calls on a routine basis.
• Provide support, direction and follow-up pertaining to consumer complaints.
• Conduct environmental sampling (if applicable) of store equipment and facilities, interpret data and provide feedback and direction to the store and district management staff.
• Complete other duties and responsibilities assigned by Supervisor or QA Director.
• Bachelor’s degree in life science (food science, biology, microbiology, community health) or public health field.
• Fundamental knowledge of food safety, sanitation audits, pest control, food safety training, weights & measures, Country of Origin requirements, regulatory food codes (FDA Food Code; State food regulations).
• A minimum of 3 years’ food safety or quality assurance related work.
• Valid driver’s license. Position requires driving daily. This is a field position.
• Overnight travel, as necessary (approx. 5%). Some limited weekend work required as needed (with flex scheduling).
• Degree in public health or food science related field.
• Registered Sanitarian or state equivalent and Certified Professional-Food Safety (CP-FS) credentials.
• Experience with auditing food establishments/facilities.
• Experience with Integrated Pest Management (IPM).
• Maintain Food Protection Manager Certification and CFPM Test Administrator qualification
Skills and Abilities
• Bilingual in English/Spanish is a preferred skill for this position, but not required.
• A self-starter capable of managing an efficient schedule with excellent interpersonal skills.
• Excellent communication skills for both one-on-one and group interactions with all associates.
• Effective in delivering food safety training programs to adult learners.
• Excellent written communication skills.
• Basic computer skills to operate MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and e-mail.
• Ability to interpret data, diagnose ‘root’ cause effects and provide sustainable and practical corrective actions.
• Ability to influence without authority.
• Must be results oriented, have ability to develop self and others.
• Ability to interact with all levels of associates and management. Have ability to act as a team leader and team builder.
• Exercise patience and flexibility in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
• Ability to actively participate within industry and regulatory associations.
• Field position requires long periods of standing and walking. Some lifting may be required.
Copyright © 2018 Delhaize America - All rights reserved
Legal terms & conditions